Saturday, August 28, 2010

In retrospect: Emerald evaporates, and still no Entei

(note:  next chunk pasted from the original "pokeplans" file on my work computer.  Dates left as-is rather than attempting to create back-dated blog entries for each.)

(7/16/2009)

I think I must be doing something wrong.

I know I haven't spent a solid couple weeks looking for Entei each night, more like maybe a dozen scattered half-hours here and there, but COME ON!  Where the heck IS that darn thing!?

Laundry didn't happen, but I did get Durreye drawn up and posted.  Still need to color OCDemon, after two weeks.

Seriously, though.  Where the heck is Entei?  Could probability hate me just that much?  Does the island quest for the sapphire need to be done before it'll appear (I remember I got tired of looking, with the other two, and went and did the islands before I finally caught them)?  Or maybe that I need to start out in a different town, and walk over to my little patch of grass?  But STILL.  It really seems like he should have appeared by now, and I'm tired of looking.  >_<

Maybe I should peruse the web to see if I'm missing any requirements.  Gotta remember to write up Kell's sheet, too.


(7/21/2009)

Nothing I can find on the web says anything but that one legendary beast will start roaming Kanto, depending on your starter, after you beat the E4 (one site did mention the Nat'l Dex).  Of course, those sites also don't say that you have to have retrieved the Ruby in addition to beating the E4 and having 60 Pokemon, before you can get the Nat'l Dex in FR/LG.  So, maybe I do need to go fetch the Sapphire.

Haven't done anything in Platinum since beating the E4 there.  I don't think I've even booted the game.   Mesprit is still flitting around Sinnoh, waiting for me;  but I need to either trade Bruce over or raise a new Poke-catcher.  And the rest of the legendaries -- Dialga, Palkia, Cresselia, Heatran, the birds, the Regis -- they're all still in there too.  I'm kind of not with the caring, at the moment.  Maybe because I already have them all in Pearl.  I do want to rename my Pt Giratina though; either Sheol, or Nephilim.

So I'm sitting here thinking about Emerald, and a potential team, because I have zero focus today.  I'm divided on the starter but it won't be Torchic, as I already have Kano to raise (and I want him to learn Blaze Kick, so I can breed Chimchars with that).  Supposedly choosing Treecko or Mudkip makes for an easier game.  Sceptile is straight grass-type but Swampert is an intriguing water-ground combo;  that'd make it impervious to electric attacks, same as Quagsire.

Of course, that depends what else I intend to catch.  Zigzagoon/Linoone are available early on and have Pickup, which would be handy;  plus Linoone can learn Cut, Strength, and Rock Smash, making it a great HM slave.  Seedot would be available early if I chose Mudkip, to give me a grass type;  Ralts would give me a Psychic type.  Ninjask are pretty kick, so maybe a Nincada?  Hariyama/Makuhita make good HM slaves also, and Slakoth/Vigoroth/Slaking probaly would too, besides having Fighting moves.  Sableye are also awesome for their Dark/Ghost combo. 

An Aron with Rock Head would make a solid tank, especially with Double Edge, and would be good for HMs too.  Meditite/Medicham has that great Fight/Psychic type combo, but they're so common in Sinnoh that I am hesitant to catch one here.  [they actually can't be caught in Emerald]

Carvanha/Sharpedo would be a wicked water Poke, being Water/Dark, and learns Crunch fairly early.  Plus it can learn Strength and Rock Smash in addition to the water HMs.  Of course, a Wailord would be hilarious to have, too. HSOWA!  They get Rollout pretty early, which can be killer.  Plus, in R/S/E, there's three water HMs -- Surf, Waterfall, and Dive -- so it might be worthwhile to have two water-types (or make my one water-type an HM slave).  Speal/Sealeo/Walerin would make a good water/ice combo, even though they're common in D/P/Pt.  Relicanth, despite being water/rock, doesn't learn much that's interesting, so it'd maybe be ideal to waste with HM moves, though it could also have the Rock Head/Double Edge combo.  [Turns out you have to have both a Wailord and a Relicanth on your team, and in certain positions yet, in order to open the ruins where the Regis are.  Sheesh.]

One Pokemon I know that I DO want is a Flygon, which means Trapinch/Vibrava.  Trapinch is Ground, but learns Bite, Faint Attack, and Crunch before evolving, at which point it becomes Ground/Dragon and learns Dragonbreath.  Unfortunately it doesn't learn much else, and only Trapinch learns Dig.  Still, a moveset like Crunch, Dragonbreath, Fly, and maybe Dig or Earthquake would be pretty kick.  I've already trained an Altaria in Platinum, so the only other flyer I'd want in Emerald is taken care of.

I like Zangoose, but they can only be caught in Ruby;  Lunatone can only be caught in Sapphire.  I'd love to raise an Absol, but their wild moveset is nowhere near as good as the Pokefarm Absol I've still got waiting in Pearl.  Part of me also finds the idea of training a Spoink or Spinda amusing, but that probably wouldn't work out all that well, they aren't really that strong.

A Frosslas would be neat, maybe.  I don't think I have one stored in my G-IV games, but Snorunt are easy enough to catch in Pt, and I wouldn't necessarily want to transfer all my kick-butt team Pokes out of Emerald.

Bagon/Shellgon/Salamence have an intriguing mix of fire, dark, and dragon attacks in their learnset, but I don't need another dragon or another flyer, and they take for-freakin'-ever to raise.  Beldum/Metang/Metagross, though, might be worthwhile, as a steel-psychic type. [Not to mention that both are only available post-E4 except by trading.]

I guess overall I should just catch as I go, and take what comes.  Concentrate, maybe, on Pokes I haven't already raised, or that aren't common in D/P/Pt.  Given the overabundance of water HMs I should probably raise a Treecko (or make Mudkip my Surfer, and a different Poke my Diver?)

Dunno....and anyway first I gotta catch Entei, darnit.


(7/23/2009)

I should really be doing something.  Also forgot my allergy shot last week, and I was just one shot away from being back to maintenance.  ARGH.  >_<

Regardless, some more Emerald musings.

Trade restrictions:   According to Bulbapedia, Emerald can only trade Hoenn region Pokemon, and only with Ruby or Sapphire, until obtaining the Nat'l Dex.  Then one can trade any Pokemon, and also with FR/LG.  Unlocking the Nat'l Dex seems only to require defeating the E4, though you can't choose from the Jhoto starters until you record 200 Pokemon in the Hoenn Dex (ouch).

Theoretically, this would mean that I could breed things in Sapphire and trade them over, if Eggs can be traded.  Also would mean I could plunder whatever Pokes are already on the Emerald cart to Sapphire, then restart Emerald and trade them back over for Dex credit.

Another note:  Like most third versions, some Hoenn Pokes can't be caught in Emerald.  These are:  Surskit/Masquerain, Meditite/Medicham, Roselia, Zangoose, and Lunatone.  Since these are all Hoenn Pokemon, though, I can get most of them from Sapphire (except Zangoose, and I'll have to raise the Masquerain).

I shouldn't get dead-set on a team 'till I know what I can catch, but I'm kinda leaning towards choosing Mudkip for the water-ground combo and Surf, then adding Spheal for the water-ice combo (should check that assumption!) and Waterfall/Dive.   Definitely want a Flygon, and most likely a Metagross.  I'll most likely end up keeping Zigzagoon/Linoone as the field Poke/HM slave.  It might be worthwhile toTM Thunder or Thunderbolt as an off-type attack, since my team probably won't include an electric type.

I could also be obnoxious and start the game with Treecko, then trade it over to Sapphire, restart, pick Mudkip, and bring Treecko back over to get both.  This is slightly cheating though, and kind of a pain in the ass.  Plus I'm a wee bit tired of grass types, I guess -- though, maybe I ought to collect all the starters, since this'll be my only chance?


(7/24/2009)

Got my shot last night, and it doesn't decrease the dosage so I still have only one shot to go before maintenance dose.  YAY.

So.  Being thoroughly sick of looking for Entei, I got impatient just as I had before, and went and powered through the Islands in one night.  Put Exp Share on Big Mama and almost levelled her too high for Entei-hunting.  Maybe I didn't do every little thing and fight every single Trainer, but I think I got all the items, as well as the Togepi and the Sapphire.  Of course, that means that the only things left are Entei and Cerulean Cave.  That, and I need to truck through Sevault Canyon to pick up the King's Rock for Trident.

I am still not sure about catching Mewtwo -- maybe I will trade over one of the high-level Pokes out of Sapphire to do it, perhaps with Ultra Balls so Mewtwo can be traded later.  Not that there's much I need to trade for, at this point.

The only question is whether this will get Entei to actually appear.  In any case, I'm that much closer to wrapping up LG.

Also, I won a $50 gift check in the raffle yesterday, so there's my Emerald money right there.  All I need is Entei....


(7/27/2009)

I am now the proud owner of a copy of Emerald.

Except -- it was purchased quite on the fly, between running around stores with Heather and Julie on Saturday.  So I didn't get a chance to check it before buying.  And unfortunately, I didn't luck out with this one.

My guess is that the cartridge was owned by either a very young kid, or someone who wasn't paying attention.  Sam (the trainer's name) had played about three and some hours, seen 43 Pokemon....and caught 5.  Six if you count Treecko (his starter) evolving once.  Five Pokemon, count 'em.  Besides his starter, he had an Electrike, a Taillow, an Abra, and a Zigzagoon -- and the Abra and Zigzagoon were not even trained at all.  There was NOTHING in the PC Boxes.  Zip.  Zero.  Nada.

Worse, he evidently didn't know to go into houses and talk to people, and had missed getting several important items.  Like, say, HM Cut.

However, and here's the problem, he DID have some useful stuff in there, like Exp Share and Everstone, and even a Macho Brace (and come to think of it, how the heck did he get those, playing the way he did??)  [Dunno about the other two, but the web confirms that the Macho Brace was won legitimately from the Winstrate Family north of Mauville -- right where Sam had left off the game.  Must've been the last thing he did.]  There were also a handful of TMs, some Ethers and Elixirs.  So, I thought, I'll just catch some Pokemon to trade those things out with.

And therein lay the problem.  Further travel from Mauville (Sam had somehow gotten to Mauville) was cut off, and there weren't many Pokemon in the nearby routes.  So I ended up backtracking, re-tracing, and even winning his third badge trying to get enough Pokemon.  And in the course of this, actually advancing the game -- and collecting more stuff!  I put nearly seven more hours on his three-hour game, just between Saturday night and Sunday.

And that is exactly what I do NOT need to do:  play through his game.    See, if I'd been sane, I'd have avoided that with the Arceus cart, too -- just traded out the starter and what few items it had, and restarted then and there.  I need to stop, before I ruin this game for myself by too much replay, too.

But here's the issue.  The only cartridge Emerald can trade with, at this stage of the game, is Sapphire.  And I don't want to get the Emerald stuff mixed up with what's already in Sapphire, especially the TMs.  And that means catching Pokemon in BOTH games for everything I want to trade out.  Oof.   That's already over two dozen just for items and TMs, and never mind the Berries.

Which means, I need to prioritize.  Because the other thing is, I will have to catch MORE stuff after restarting, to trade things back IN.  And money and Pokeballs will be tight, at first.

All right then, maybe I do it like this:
-done-    --Stop trying to catch unique Pokemon, and just catch a big ol' boxfull of Whismur from Rustboro Tunnel.  Gulpin's at about the right level for this.
-done-    --Give the berries to the Whismur, but nothing below #10 except Leppa.  Because berries will be needed later for Pokeblocks.
-done-    --Give the items, TMs, etc to the Pokemon I already have;  leave behind potions, pokeballs, repels, etc.  Maybe transfer Premier Balls and TM Dig.
-done-    --Name the Pokemon that I will be bringing back over, and give them the high-priority items to take back with them (Exp Share, Macho Brace, Everstone)
-done-    --Catch a shload of lvl 2 Poochyena or something in Sapphire.  Ninjask ought to be good for this, with False Swipe.  Will need approx. 2 boxes' worth.
-done-    --Trade like a crazy person and get everything the HECK out of Emerald.
-done-    --While Sam's Grovyle is in Sapphire, delete Cut from his moveset.  Give him the Heart Scale and re-learn something.
-done-    --Restart Emerald to get each starter.  Soft-reset for a male Torchic, and a female Treecko (breeding pair for Sam's Grovyle).
-done-    --Get just far enough (probably Oldale) to trade them both out to Sapphire. 
-done-    --Restart again and pick Mudkip.  This will be my actual game, at last!  Make a "Sam" box.
    --Want to trade back in:  Sam's Grovyle (Samson), Electrike, Taillow, and Linoone.  Also Plusle and Minun, and the other two starters.
    --Bring back Macho Brace, Exp Share, Everstone.  Maybe Blue Flute, Premier Balls, TM 28 (Dig).   Berries later in the game, other stuff to LG.

Whew.  That's a lot of prep work just to get my game started the way I want it.  Tonight I should most likely catch things and do laundry.

But if nothing else, I now have a much better idea of what I want to catch first, having seen what's available.  Having worked with Sam's Grovyle, whom I named Samson, I am much more sure that I do want a Mudkip.  Also, I'll catch a Zigzagoon straight off;  this'll be my "field Pokemon", with Pickup and the HMs.  That should get me to Petalburg Woods, where I should be able to pick up a Shroomish;  until I get enough badges for Samson to listen to me again, this can be my grass-type.  Getting to Rustboro will then get me to Rt 116, where I can catch a Nincada.

First Gym is Rock, which between Mudkip and Shroomish I should have covered.  Second Gym is fighting, so I might want to haul along a Taillow just to make that easier.  Third Gym is Electric, which hopefully Mudkip will pwn.  The fourth Fire Gym also ought to be easy for Mudkip.  The last Gyms are Normal, Flying, Psychic, Water.

Note on Shroomish:  They would be an awesome breeding project, because if left unevolved, the last two attacks they learn are Giga Drain and Spore (sleep attack with 100% Accuracy).  Breed those in before raising, and that'd be a kick-ass Breloom.  Moral of the story:  if I raise a Shroomish, do not evolve it.  At all.

Note on Nincada:  Do not allow evolution until after lvl 25, so that it learns False Swipe;  make sure there is an empty slot in party and a spare Pokeball, for Shedinja.  At lvl 31, Ninjask will learn Slash and Shedinja will learn Confuse Ray (attack set diverges widely after evolution).  All evo's can learn Cut and Flash.

Notes on Mudkip:  Evolve right away at lvl 16, but then hold off second evo until Earthquake is learned.  Also -- should most likely bring Dig TM back over instead of Escape Rope.  Surf, Earthquake, and Dig would be a good final moveset, with an off-type move.   Learnable TMs include Ice Beam and Blizzard, which would mean I wouldn't have to train a Spheal.  Brick Break is another interesting option.

Notes on Zigzagoon:  No point in holding off evo'ing, since all final attackset will be TM/HMs.  Cut, Strength, Rock Smash, and possibly Thunder.

Note on Metagross:  There is only one Beldum in R/S/E, and it only becomes available after defeating the E4.  So much for having one on my team, unless I breed one in Sapphire and trade it over (again, a wee bit cheating, but I suppose having a friend who's beat the game give you an Egg isn't farfetched as a legitimate scenario).

So that gives me only three definites for my final team -- Swampert, Linoone, and Flygon -- which means it's catch as I go, and see what's interesting.  I will probably end up with a Wailord for Waterfall and Dive but that doesn't mean it has to be on my team for the E4.  Guess I will have to see what comes up!

.....aaaaand now it's after 2 PM and I am TOTALLY unfocused.  D'oh.


(7/28/2009)


The level of my unfocused-ness is getting to dangerous proportions.  I can't seem to concentrate on or work on anything.  Bleh.

Caught enough stuff in Emerald last night to attach most stuff to;  could maybe catch a dozen more to get the last Berries but eh.  Forgot to name stuff, should take care of that tonight, along with catching packs of Poochyena to trade from Sapphire.

I should make sure that my prospective team has type coverage...
Bug -- Dark -- Dragon -- Electric -- Fighting -- Fire -- Flying -- Ghost -- Grass -- Ground -- Ice -- Normal -- Poison -- Psychic -- Rock -- Steel -- Water

[what's funny about this is that I didn't even consider what the E4 types might be.  Was not at ALL prepared for Ice.]

It's inconvenient that both Mudkip and Flygon have Ground as one of their types;  that means Dig and Earthquake would be ideal for each, but not both.  But since I get Mudkip so much earlier it should rightly be my Digger, since that allows me to escape caves.  Maybe put Earthquake on Flygon?  But the Mudkip family actually learns Earthquake, without the need for a TM.

I should also remember that someone on the team should have Secret Power.  Maybe Linoone, since it would get STAB with it, and therefore be the most sensible choice?  That does remove the possibility of teaching it Thunder/Thunderbolt, but makes it a true field Poke.   --Or not, because really, I'm only going to use it to get into my base;  though with 70 base power and STAB plus the terrain-variable secondary effect, it still might not be a bad choice.

Decisions, decisions.  :D


(7/30/2009)

So, let's see, it's Thursday.

Tuesday, in between bouts of Deadliest Catch (season finale was this week) I caught about 65 Poochyena in Sapphire.  Terrell's Ninjask does not have, nor can it re-learn, False Swipe;  so in addition to the time it took to just encounter that many Poochyena, some took more than one Pokeball (I was catching them by paralysis rather than weakening).  But all this was not without reward -- one of them was a random shiny!   And I managed to nab it in a premier ball.

Wednesday I hadn't slept and spent the wee hours of the morning hacking up my lungs, so I called in sick and went back to bed.  Later in the day I did the trading and got everything out of Emerald.  However, I didn't get both extra restarts done, because in a fit of brilliance, I managed to peel back the top half of my right big toenail trying to rehang Mom's closet door.  It bled like crazy and Dad had to take me to Mt. Airy's immediate care place,which was less than "immediate".  The doctor numbed the toe and cut off the top half of the nail, and told me to leave the bandage on and keep it elevated a day or two. 

Still, I gingerly drove home (mostly with cruise control), popped some Aleve, and restarted Emerald once.  I now know just where to save and soft-reset for a female Treecko, and where the first two mandatory battles are.  You don't get the Pokedex straight away, though, and you need it to trade.  So it's about a half hour to forty-five minutes to get through to that point, depending on how much one wants to level up for the first rival battle.

Which I did, despite noticing something flickering out of the corner of my eye;  something that turned out to be a bat!  It didn't seem sick (flying badly, or into things) just scared as all hell.  I managed to get the bed changed despite this, and get the light turned off to try and guide it out to the stairway.  I haven't seen it since, so I hope it did that.  O:

So yeah.  Tonight is Dave's, after a two-week hiatus;  I think I will lay claim to the recliner.  But driving to gaming tomorrow, that I don't think I can handle with the toe.  Should email them.

In any case, if I am not distracted by the bat again (Gabriel sent a helpful link to "how to catch a bat in your house" instructions) then I should be able to get the few Pokemon traded out and restart again for that female Treecko.  With luck, I can get that game to a point for trading, get the Pokemon out, and then restart for real.

And then...Hoenn, here I come!


(7/31/2009)


Well, the bat's still around somewhere;  I nearly ran into it in the stairway last night.  But I have successfully shut it out of my room, so that's something.  Toe is doing OK and hurts a lot less than I would have expected.   Gotta go get those antibiotics, though.  My face actually needs 'em, too.  D:

Got the first restart's Pokemon traded out of Emerald last night, and began the second restart.  I lost track of how many soft-resets it took to get that female Treecko, but finally did and ran the game through to where I can trade.  What with being at home it is massively tempting to trade those Pokemon out and restart my real game now, instead of working.

Except, of course, that means I've got to think of some good names for that Mudkip and Zigzagoon I plan to catch!

But there is no gaming tonight, so I should have lots of time.  I am re-thinking what to transfer back in;  I think Samson, plus Fern and Atomic (the reset starters), and Poz and Neg (the Plusle and Minun).  Maybe the Gulpin Slurpea.  But not the whole "Sam team".

I also think that if there's still Wingull on Rt 103 I might catch one for my initial Flying type;  I just don't seem to like Taillow for some reason.

Heh, I wonder if I can get farther than Sam, in one sitting.... maybe I won't trade anything in at first.  See if I can get the items myself.


(8/3/2009)

Should've known that I couldn't blaze through as fast as "just keep battlin' and ignore everything else" Sam, but I have at least caught up to where he was in the game where he quit.

Got the second restart's Pokemon out, then began my real game.  I named my Mudkip Jubal (bayou -> Louisiana -> the South -> Jubal Early) and the Zigzagoon Meadow ('cause she'll be my "field" Pokemon).  Also caught that Wingull on Rt 103 and named her Alba (Alba-tross);  plus when I got to Dewford I caught a Sableye and named her Jet.   And of course I took my time overlevelling as usual, but Jubal and Alba took the Rock Gym with no trouble, and Jet took Brawly's Fighting Gym with a bit of help from Alba.   I let Jubal evolve at lvl 16, and he completely pwned Wattson's Electric Gym as expected.  Meadow is evolved as well.

So that gives me three badges and something like 25 Pokemon owned.  I have also collected the items I was thinking to trade over, except Dig, and so haven't traded anything back in yet.  Next up is the haul from Mauville north and around to Fallarbor, then up Mt. Chimney to Lavaridge and the next badge.  Given Jubal and Alba both have Water Gun, that gym should go down easy too.

Unfortunately, though, the game seems to suffer from the Berry Glitch, where planted berries don't grow.  I've noticed the clock in my house in Littleroot hasn't budged since I set it, either.  Emerald shouldn't suffer from this, but I suppose I could try loading the patch from LG?  I don't know what this might do, though, since Emerald isn't supposed to need it...


(8/5/2009)

Well THAT was an exercise in frustration.

Did the whole trek up to Lavaridge for the fourth badge, fighting Team Magma along the way, and got the Go-Goggles.  As expected, the Fire gym was fairly easy, between Alba and Jubal.

However, probability hates me.  First was the Solrock I tried to catch in Meteor Falls, which popped out of something like 15 Great Balls and 10 Pokeballs.  Finally caught it in a Nest Ball but DAMN that cost me money!  So I turned back towards Fallarbor to replenish my Pokeball supply instead of going all the way through.  Went to Mt. Chimney, retrieved the Meteorite, gave it back to Prof. Cozmo.   Then I took my spanking new Go-Goggles out to the Desert on Rt. 111.

In Mirage Tower, I caught my Trapinch -- but it turned out to have a pathetically low Speed, even worse than the usual Trapinch (they don't get faster 'till they evolve).  Worse, to get to the top and get to the Fossils, you have to ride your Mach Bike over a patch of crumbling floor that requires you to turn not once, but TWICE without losing speed.  Just so STUPIDLY difficult.  Needless to say, that wasn't happening, though I drove myself to tears trying.

So now I need to go back to Mirage Tower and catch another Trapinch, preferably with a Timid nature, and in a Premier Ball.  Yeeeeah.  Uh huh.  I should probably just catch a handful in Premier Balls and take the best, maybe the best of five?  I was trying to catch another last night but wasn't getting anything but females when I wanted a male (and when I could find them at all).  Then I can go to Slateport to nickname it, and release the others.  I hate to do that, but it surely was a good thing with Meadow.

Then I can go out through Meteor Falls, properly armed with Pokeballs, and catch stuff there?  Or...hmm, I think I need Surf to get to the grass there.

So maybe I just truck back to Petalburg the long way.  Face Dad, get the next badge, and get Surf.  Also, need to go back through Rusturf Tunnel for Strength.  Once I have Surf, that opens up the eastern side of Hoenn, as well as the water route to Dewford.  No more Mr. Briney!

I think I will just leave the Fossils alone for the moment.  Just go back and get me a decent Trapinch, then press onwards.


(8/6/2009)

Well, ARGH.

The patch for the Berry Glitch is NOT compatible with Emerald.  After some posting to PokeFarm for reassurance, I tried transferring the patch from LG.   Not only did I get an "Unable to update Berry Program" message, but when I booted Emerald back up again, my game had been erased "due to corruption or damage in the file."

Four badges, some fourteen hours, and my poor Pokemon....POOF.  All that training with Jubal, Meadow, Alba, and Jet.....POOF.

At least I hadn't traded anything in from the previous restarts, so I still have all that, and Sam's Pokemon too.  I also have the receipt for Emerald, so tonight I'm going to the Rt. 40 GameStop.  If they've got a copy of Emerald to exchange, I'm going to insist on booting the game for five minutes to make sure the clock is working.

I figure what I had going was working pretty well, so I'll most likely just capture and train the same stuff, with the same names.  Hopefully it won't take me quite as long to catch up, even with my overlevelling habits.

As a consolation, I went and downloaded the Membership Card for Platinum over WiFi.  Went and rousted Cresselia (so now she and Mesprit are BOTH floating around Sinnoh) but did not try for Darkrai yet.

Also -- my Emerald team was getting pretty solid;  even if I'd gotten to replace Alba with Gossamer (my eventual Flygon) I pretty much had four out of six set, leaving two slots.  After much thought, I had more or less made my peace with the idea of breeding a Beldum in Sapphire and bringing it over; it seems to me that it would be perfectly legitimate to have previously played R/S and have a Metang or Metagross hanging around, or have a friend who had, and to be able to trade an Egg or a fresh-hatched Beldum.  So I believe I'll do that...at least, if I haven't already Pal Parked the Metang/Metagross from Sapphire to GIV, and if it doesn't look like it was hacked (as I'm certain other Pokemon on the Sapphire cartridge are, which means they are off-limits for breeding).

As to the other slot...not sure.  Given the team's planned final attack sets so far, I'm not going to be very effective against Water unless I add Grass or Electric attacks.  Since the last Gym is Water, [not to mention the Champion Wallace, hah] that's going to bite me in the ass if I don't do something about it.   At least neither of my Ground types are weak against Water!  It might be good to have more coverage against Flying, Bug, and Dark, too.

It should be noted that Flygon can learn Giga Drain and Solarbeam, as well as neat stuff like Flamethrower, Fire Blast, and Steel Wing.