Saturday, August 28, 2010

In retrospect: LG and the Dex debate

(note:  next chunk pasted from the original "pokeplans" file on my work computer.  Dates left as-is rather than attempting to create back-dated blog entries for each.)

(3/10/2008)

My, but PROJ takes a while to process.

So I find myself with a dilemna.  I've played cartridge II of LG far enough to get my Master Ball, so now either cartridge can be plundered and re-started.

Thing is, getting the MB puts me so close to the E4 in that game that going all the way and just finishing it is a very viable option.  Plus I'm just a badge away from access to all three birds, so I really might as well go for them.  My team's already pretty darn solid, so after all that, the E4 ought to be a cinch.

Once the E4 are down and the Nat'l Dex is obtained, there's just a few islands standing between me and access to the final legendary.  Which is where I am on cartridge I, so I might as well just go all the way there.

All of which means I will have finished this whole shebang TWICE before I can restart for myself, which is more effort than I really intended to put in.   Foo.  Oh well, I guess it'll give me more to trade in the long run...

(7/25/2008)

Waiting for prod_copy to be done and dinner to arrive....

So I finished cartridge I of LG and got the final legendary there;  that cartridge could be restarted now, but it's nice to have one with all the areas open.  Most everything has been transferred, am attaching items as I go.

Haven't gotten any farther with cartridge II.  Also haven't really done any more breeding projects except for 'dex completion purposes.

Because, y'see, I am evidently insane:  I am less than 100 away from completing the Nat'l 'Dex, and I'm going for it.  Yep.

Currently attempting to raise all the pain-in-the-ass slow levelers from the various versions, which is taking stupid amounts of time.

The GTS has sort of reached the end of its usefulness for the 'dex, since I have crossed off most of what I've seen and can request.

Next projects will be the fossils and the starters.  I want a set of the fossils done properly, and there's no way around having to raise the starters if I want to breed at some point.  Luckily the farm ones have their final movesets already, so it's just a case of leveling to evolve.  This will take some time, but it'll give me a whole bunch of 'dex entries.

Also bought a Sapphire cartridge, which has given me a bunch of stuff I don't have to raise myself.  WOOT.  Even though I've already transferred most of the ones I needed for 'dex completion, it's totally worth the $30--especially as it came with all the R/S legendaries (including a genuine event Jirachi!).  Unfortunately, there's no Ditto in R/S, so the breeding possibilities are severely limited.  The one other downside is that I'm pretty sure an Action Replay or the like was used at some point;  too many lvl 100s.  But still.  Totally worth it.  Thank you Terrell, whoever you are.

I will not be restarting that cartridge, either;  unless I have buckets of time and am feeling masochistic.  Better to just keep some highlevel stuff in there and keep it around with all the areas open.  I think the other two Regi's are still in there, too....should look into grabbing those so I can get the fourth.

There's also the box problem, namely that they're mostly full.  I want to aim for a full collection of all the max evolutions, but I'm severly running out of room.  Either I'm going to need to release a LOT of stuff, or consider getting Ranch for the Wii, since you can both deposit and withdraw from that.  It's basically a glorified box with more interactivity.  There's also the disturbing posssibility of data loss -- I suppose the way to deal with that would be to only upload low-level pre-evolutions that are easily replacable.  Guess that's what I get for naming everything.