Sunday, September 26, 2010

Emerald II to Mauville

So Steven got his letter, and Capt. Stern got his Goods.  Brawly's Gym at Dewford went down easily enough, between Sybil and Twitter.

Wattson, in Mauville, was another matter.

Apparently Torchik is the most difficult starter in R/S/E, and it doesn't help that as usual I'm waiting for Tabasco to learn certain attacks before allowing him to evolve.  But STILL.  Last time, Jubal easily swept the whole gym at lvl 24, with everyone else around 20-22.  This time...oy.  The trainers weren't too bad, but I lost to Wattson three times (saving beforehand and turning the game off each time).

To get past Wattson, I had to spend at least a couple hours out on Rt. 117 getting Twitter and Hemmingway to lvl 24, Sybil and Sancho to lvl 26, and Tabasco to lvl 28.  Took for-freakin'-EVER, but hey, at least this time I nabbed a Volbeat almost straight off.  Go figure.

I've currently got some Leppa growing -- you can never have too many Leppa -- but after they've been harvested I can FINALLY move on to the desert, then do the Lavaridge Loop.  Right after I open up the Rustboro-Verdanturf tunnel, of course.  Got my Macho Brace from the Winstrates, and already ran back for the Exp. Share.

I'm still divided on what to do about all the HMs I don't want to bother with...I'm actually regretting giving Cut to Hemmingway, because Vigoroth learn some good moves.  I'm leaning towards just making that Zigzagoon another HM slave like Meadow, then trading up to a Linoone when I get that far.  Just rotate out the team for training.   Not that I know yet what that team will be.

[later edit -- looking up Pickup, I see that Phanpy also has this ability, and can learn Strength and Rock Smash.  And hey, I need a Donphan. Perhaps I could trade one in; that sure would've helped against Wattson, and would also be useful in New Mauville.]

That still doesn't solve the Fly problem;  Tropius probably is a good bet for a grass-type, but still, I'd wanted to raise the max evos I don't already have, like Cacturne.  I guess as far as Fly goes, I've already raised everything that could learn it anyway.   *sigh*  I wish this game didn't have so many darrn HMs.  Maybe I should trade over Sam's starter Samson and raise him -- I do need a Sceptile.

Silly thought:  It'd be really cool to do a playthrough with all three starters.  Perhaps someday.

No comments:

Post a Comment